Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Way You Look Tonight

Ever since Jackson was a little baby boy, we have always had a pretty steady bedtime routine. Go potty, brush his teeth, read a story, say prayers, and sing songs while getting a back scratch. For as long as I can remember, I have sung "Oh Mr. Sun" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." Recently I decided to change it up a little and sing some different songs. So now I sing "Jesus Loves Me" and "The Way You Look Tonight." Yep, I'm singing an old Fred Astaire song to my son every night! I actually remember singing it to him when he was a newborn and he was crying nonstop one day - the second I started singing that one song, he would instantly go quiet and look me in the eyes until I was done. It was amazing. So it's been fun to revisit that memory while singing it to him. And guess what? He loves it again. It's almost as if he remembers it.

Last night while singing to him, he did something that I'll never forget. He looked up at me and started singing along. He did all the sign language that he's learned at church for "Jesus Loves Me" - but the best part was when he actually started singing along with "The Way You Look Tonight." I almost started crying because it was beyond cute. Within that moment, I realized just how much he has grown up. No longer my little baby boy, but now my little man.

I need to remember to cherish our song time every single night. There will come a day when he will tell me he's too old to sing songs together and I know I will feel my heart break a little.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jess, this gave me goosebumps! What a good idea to sing songs at night. I can't wait to have a night time routine. Singing might just be involved :O)

    ReplyDelete