Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My son the Vacuum Man

When Christmas started rolling around this year, we started asking Jackson what he wanted from Santa. We were expecting the typical boy responses.... "Cars, trucks, frogs." You get the idea. Imagine our surprise when he was absolutely set on wanting a vacuum cleaner. Yes, his very own vacuum cleaner. For weeks all we continued to hear was that he wanted a vacuum cleaner with a light on it. My boy is very specific about his cleaning equipment.

On Christmas Eve, I took both boys downtown to see Saint Nick in all his glory. Jackson was star struck, Charlie slept the entire time like a blob in his stroller. Even after he was handed over to Santa, he didn't make a peep! So they did the pictures and then it was the moment Jackson had been waiting for... Santa asked him what he wanted for Christmas. I am not kidding you, he looked straight into Santa's eyes and said, "I want my very own vacuum cleaner so I can help my mommy clean!" I wonder how many times Santa has heard that. I'm betting on zero. The look on his face was priceless. You could tell he was thinking, "Wow, this woman must put her kid to work!" It was pretty much one of the cutest moments in Jackson's life.

All I can say is thank GOD for my dear mother-in-law. She searched the wonderful world of eBay and found Jackson his very own red Dirt Devil Vacuum. It even had the much anticipated light on it! It was purchased and stored away until Christmas morning when Jackson was the happiest I have ever seen him. The second he peeled away that wrapping paper and saw his beloved vacuum cleaner he went buck wild.




Only minutes after opening his present, he proceeded to run around the house screaming that he got a vacuum cleaner. Then he began vacuuming my entire parent's house. I'm talking every single room that had carpet in it. Needless to say, my parents had a lot of gratitude for Jackson cleaning their carpets!

I've written about this today because I shared such a fun and special moment with my little janitor this afternoon. I was busy doing my usual homemaker duties and decided it was a good day to vacuum (after Jackson begging me if we could vacuum all morning). I pulled out the vacuum and started working on the living room. Next thing I know Jackson was beside me with his little vacuum and we vacuumed the entire downstairs side by side. I wished so much I had someone with a video camera to capture that moment. I just shook my head and laughed silently and promised myself that I will never forget this for the rest of my life.

At least I'll never have to complain about dirty carpets with Jackson around. Remind me I said that when he's a teenager and tracking in muddy footprints without a second thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment